Must Knows for Travel in Belgium
When is the best time of year to visit Belgium?
What language is spoken in Belgium?
Do they take credit cards in Belgium?
Supermarkets in Belgium
Public transit & Bikes in Belgium
How to Get to Belgium On a Budget
By plane: Transavia, Easyjet, Ryanair go to Brussels.
- Lambics (Sour fruity beer unique to Belgium).
- Belgian Trappist ales (Only 8 of these exist in Belgium. You can visit some of the monasteries int the western and eastern parts of Belgium although I've read that they typically don't give tours.) .Come in single, double, and triple types along. They can be quite heavy (especially as they go up in hop number) and remind me of bread.
- Saison (light, non-hoppy beers, seasonal (although you can find it in fall) so refreshing in summer).
- Witbier (White Beer). Typically light, not too hoppy, and good for non-beer drinkers hoping to learn more.
Famous Belgian Food
Top 5 Things To Do in Bruges (1 day / 1 night)
- City Gates. Only three remain in the city although Ezelpoort has a moat and swans. They're beautiful and worth seeing!
- Beer. We stumbled upon Brouwerij De Halve Maan, which is a popular Belgian brewery. The Bruge Zot Blonde is cheap, tasty, and easy to drink although they have some rarer beers on tap if you ask at the bar. I was a fan of the Bottle Shop (Wollestraat 13) where I spent a long time browsing the massive bottle collection with some beers I've never seen. If you're a beer lover, there are lots more fantastic beer bars to visit, so try to avoid the tourist traps and do your research.
- Chocolate: Everywhere. Some places are tourist ones although you can't go wrong with Stef's Chocolatier, which was my favorite of the many I visited.
- Best street for wandering: Ezelpoort. Lots of cute little stores to stop into slightly removed from the tourist centre.
- Must-see site: the Belfry. Beautiful medieval tower that is free to visitors (unless you want to climb). You can enjoy listening to the bells, which is worth looking up ahead of time, and visit art exhibits at the bottom.
Things to Do in Ghent / Gent ( 1 day / Stay in Antwerp)
Whenever possible,I love to try new food and we stumbled upon an Afro-Creole restaurant called Uele with owners from Martinique. The owners are really nice, the food is very different than anything I've ever had as they use ingredients I've never heard of before, and the spices were really interesting. Along the same street (Zwijnaardsesteenweg), you'll find numerous restaurants if you're interested in something else.
Interested in learning more about Ghent's history and seeing more photographs? Click here for a complete guide to Ghent!
Things to Do in Antwerp / Antwerpen (2 days / 2 nights)
Top 3 Things to see:
- Cafe Kulminator
- Platin-Moretus museum