So, you want to be the very best, like no one ever was.... in Amsterdam? I'm not a Pokemon Master YET, but I've been spending far too much time catching Pokemon in Amsterdam--and connecting with my fellow trainers. It's a great way to learn facts about statues, street art, and see places in a new light! Read more for the best spots according to the pros AND tips for PokemonGo!
Note: this post uses affiliate links. Click for our disclosure with more information.
Where to Go In Amsterdam
Although there are MANY spots, these are the spots most highly recommended by power players! Post written August 1, 2016 and updated as of August 8th. Amsterdam has a lot of water and bug pokemon, so electric ones can be quite valuable for battle!
Free map with all the spots where I've hunted and I've heard the best Pokemon will appear below. You can send it to your phone OR save it to your own google maps if you find it helpful.
For more general tips about Amsterdam, I live here in this beautiful city. You can read myneighborhood guide here for getting off the beaten path (in some of the areas mentioned in this guide), tips for tourists, and cheap eats guide with [my favorites all under 10 euros!].
De Blauw Theehuis (Vondelpark)
This circular cafe built in the 1930s Modern style is in the middle of Vondelpark. It's my favorite spot to hang out waiting for Pokemon to appear. For the price of a soda or beer, you can sit upstairs next to an outlet to outlast the best of them. There are THREE Pokestops surrounding the Teahouse with constant lures set by fellow players, so it's the perfect place to catch almost constant Pokemon and see rarer ones spawn. It's also a great place to make friends with your fellow players on the grass outside. Hours: 9-10pm every day. (Bathroom is not free unless you are a customer!)
KFC in the Dappermarkt
I don't even eat KFC fried chicken, however this is where to catch a lot of Pokemon and there's free wifi for saving your data. Just buy something. On a good side note, this is a fantastic local market on weekdays. Hours 10-11pm.
This is the favored spot by many players for a myriad of players, including squirtle, bulbasaur, dragini, and, if you're lucky, Snorlax. The park is a bit out of the way, however
Close to the most scenic part for picnics, there's a nest of Pikachus & Eevees if you're lucky. At worst, you can enjoy a lovely picnic or have a good run.
De Oeverlanden (Ooievaarsnest)
This scenic and out of the way park is apparently where to go for the regional specialty Mr. Mime and finding nests of other Pokemon!
10 Tips that I learned while playing so far
1. Biking around with pokemon ON your screen (not in lock mode) will hatch your eggs pretty fast. Biking while playing pokemon, possible, but don't do it. You're one tourist away from a terrible idea and an accident.
2.Download Google Maps for Amsterdam for offline use. It will reduce your data usage by A LOT.
3. Catching ALL the pokemon near you is a good strategy at first, however try to save your pokeballs for the ones that are rare OR you're trying to evolve.
4. It's often better to catch & evolve a high level lower level pokemon than keep powering up a lower evolved one.
5. ALWAYS check the skills that each Pokemon has before evolving. Certain attacks are more powerful against common adversaries, so don't trade one in just because it's lower CP.
6. BE CAREFUL. Amsterdam is full of canals. Don't be the first one to fall in the canal while playing PokemonGo!
7. Try to find cafes where there are lots of others--or the staff keeps the lures going. Lures will help you catch rarer Pokemon and if you can be at a spot with THREE lures around it, you will catch some amazing Pokemon very frequently.
8. If a gym is white, you can take it over (very briefly).
9. If you take over a gym, go to store, press the shield button, and reap your reward for being a gym master in the form of free Pokecoins that you can use to purchase items!
10. You can gain up some extra kilometers to help your eggs hatch by leaving Pokemon running on your phone while you're just sitting still at a table/desk. The GPS might think that you're moving---enough that you can hatch an egg if you're close.
So, my fellow trainers, anything else you might add in terms of tips for Amsterdam OR becoming a Pokemon Master?
Karen & Jacob. American expats and cat lovers from New York City and Kentucky who lived in Amsterdam.... Then, Paris. (Confusing, we know!) Now, we're living in The Hague, the Netherlands.
Disclaimer: On my blog, I sometimes use affiliate links. I will always tell you when there's affiliate links in a post.
Note: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Please check my disclosure page for more information.
All content and photos COPYRIGHT to Wanderlustingk.com unless otherwise noted. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Wanderlustingk. ANY unauthorized use will be pursued under US Law.